Monday, July 14, 2014

July 11-13, 2014: Today I'm grateful for...

This past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I really was so fortunate as to have been allowed a few extra hours of sleep! 

This past weekend, I was extremely grateful for my MOTHER. The saint. She's pretty incredible. For those of you who don't know, my husband and I live at home. We live with my parents, my brother, my 2 dogs, and the foreign exchange students (sometimes 1, sometimes 3)....so it's a bit of a crazy situation! The most amazing part, though, is the fact that we have this symbiotic relationship going on....we help each other. And this last weekend my mom really really helped me.

The worst part of having a new baby is by far the lack of sleep. There are so many wonderful things about being a new mother, and there are also some really crappy things. The problem is that most of the time, mothers only show you the shiny parts...the smiles...the laughing....you don't see the breakdowns, the fussing, the nap fighting, the reactions, the poops, the poop exposions, the getting peed on and getting barfed on....and having to wake up in the middle of the night and FUNCTION. Over and over and over and over. It does eventually get better, but for me, sleep is just so important...I honestly don't know that I could ever cope with a second baby. This first has been hard enough...but I guess it's too early to tell. 

WELL.

Didn't my mother wake up with my son all three days??? She allowed both husband and I 7-9 hours of sleep all three days, and she takes him all of the time during the day too! She loves it, she loves time with him and takes him often....but the mornings....the mornings are enough for me. I had the WORLD'S BEST weekend, I felt refreshed and so happy. I felt like I didn't have a care in the world. I didn't think too much about situations, I felt clear headed...it was amazing. I know it can't happen all the time, after all, he's my son and ultimately my responsibility, and I take that role seriously. But once in a while, boy oh boy does it help. 

My mother. The saint. Love her with all my heart. She drives me nuts, but I don't know what I would do without her. Thank you mom. x 



No comments:

Post a Comment